Water damage and leakage are horrible situations. The problem exacerbates when the entire structure of the building has been completed and later you realize that either you forgot to apply waterproofing, or it was not implemented properly. Still, you should not worry; the requirement for waterproofing and safeguarding of constructions has led to new inventions of polyurethane polymers called liquid membranes, which are popular among the top exterior waterproofing companies near me. Polyurethane waterproofing membrane is one of several types of waterproofing membranes, and each of them has its own benefits.
This blog provides a detailed explanation of exterior foundation waterproofing membranes, their various types, long-term advantages, and much more. Please Stay Tuned! And after reading the complete article, you will confidently make the decision about which type of waterproofing membrane suits you best.
What are Exterior Foundation Waterproofing Membranes?
An Exterior waterproofing membrane is a waterproofing technique to prevent water from penetrating your home. The waterproof blockade is applied below the ground surface from the outside of the foundation. Many exterior waterproofing companies near me use only solid sheets to prevent water from entering; however, those sheets create joints, which become weak over time and allow water into your home or buildings.
Shotcrete and concrete materials are also used for foundation waterproofing; however, as time passes, these cracks start to become visible and water can easily pour in, leaving it a breeding ground for mosquitoes. It also produces water molds that pose a danger to health.
It is a common problem to cause water leakage when using sheets. There are several types of waterproofing solutions available on the market for exterior waterproofing companies near me; however, it is best to use a polyurethane liquid membrane. It is a liquid; once applied, let it dry, and it provides a consistent coating that is impenetrable to water. It maintains the building, both aesthetically and structurally, strong with lifelong security and peace of mind without worrying about water leakage.
Different Types Of Foundation Waterproofing Solutions
Foundation waterproofing is a vital component for any type of structure, whether it is a home, a complex, or any other type of building. There are various types of waterproofing solutions available on the market. Please find them below:
- Polymer-modified bitumen membrane: The most widely used waterproof material is Polymer-modified bitumen membrane. Its installation is simple, and its popularity is high. The polymers are modified by mixing them with asphalt emulsion. This material provides enough strength to withstand temperature fluctuations and high loads from exterior waterproofing companies near me, making it highly durable and efficient for waterproofing. These polymers in modified bitumen sheet membranes provide extra resistance, due to which it can also be used at places that sustain high temperatures, in addition to inhibiting water from passing through the foundation.
2. Self-adhesive modified bituminous membrane: It uses tackifiers, polymers, asphalt, and mineral stabilizers. It further amplifies the structure when used with polyester, fiberglass, or a combination. The self-adhesive layer is fortified with paper, which is taken off during installation. It provides excellent water tightness and flexibility. It also provides high tensile strength and resistance to temperature and aging.
3. Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM) Membrane: It is a high-quality rubber material used in the construction industry for waterproofing, roofing, and sealing applications. The membrane is commonly used to provide a waterproof barrier. The installation is quick and easy, and it demonstrates high tensile and tear strength. It provides resistance to ultraviolet rays, intense heat, and acids. Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer membrane is a phenomenal substitute for torch-on membranes.
- Thermoplastic membrane: It is a single-ply roofing membrane that uses a mixture of ethylene-propylene, polypropylene, and often polyester as a catalyst. The sheets of thermoplastic polyolefin (TPO) contain colorants, ultraviolet resisters, and a few other additives to achieve the required strength. The sheets of TPO are 6 to 12 feet wide with a varying thickness of 40 to 100 mils. Thermoplastic membranes are more inexpensive than other waterproofing solutions.
4. Bituminous membrane: Bitumen is also known as asphalt or coal-tar pitch, it is prepared with organic liquids that are heavily sticky and viscous which makes it suitable for basement waterproofing. It is used in construction and is essential for waterproofing basements, roofs, bridges, below-ground constructions, and other types of structures by exterior waterproofing companies near me. The main advantage of Bituminous membrane is that it prevents rusting, and its products are environmentally friendly. One of the negative aspects of Bituminous membrane is its combustible nature.
We will discuss below Foundation Waterproofing solutions known as Polyurethane membranes in detail. It has long-term advantages and has been widely used in construction for many years. It is one of the top-notch water-proofing solutions provided by exterior waterproofing companies near me.
- Polyurethane Membrane: For enhanced living standards, various innovations have taken place in the construction industry. Polyurethane polymer membrane is one such highly acclaimed innovation happened in this industry. It is a liquid membrane used to reinforce the foundation’s waterproofing. It is one of the most preferred methods used in the construction sector. The adhesive properties of Polyurethane polymer membrane are above par, and it has the potential to seal the most cumbersome protrusions efficiently and for longer.
Uses of Polyurethane polymer membrane materials:
a. The Waterproofing materials used in polyurethane are long-lasting and durable; they provide high resilience and performance. These materials are used in the foundation, roof, balconies, and other parts of the building.
b. Polyurethane materials prevent dust coating and maintain the brightness of the surface, strength, and aesthetic beauty of the construction.
c. Polyurethane-based materials are also used in foundations that dampen due to puddles of water.
d. Due to the versatile and robust nature of Polyurethane polymer membrane materials, they are also used to provide safety to water tanks as they provide resistance to rust and are also harmless to health.
e. These materials can be applied to both internal and external foundations.
Properties of Polyurethane polymer membrane
1. Polyurethane polymer membranes come with the assurance of zero water penetration
2. It is flexible and can bear the normal movement of buildings caused by earthquakes, distortion, etc.
3. These are resistant to ultraviolet rays and adverse weather conditions
4. It has high tensile strength and durability.
Waterproofing Procedure of Polyurethane Liquid Polymer Membrane:
Please find the step-by-step procedure for applying Polyurethane Liquid Polymer Membrane for waterproofing-
1. In the first step, prepare the foundation by cleaning its surface rigorously with no dust, grease, moisture, or debris left on it.
2. Now analyze the cracks, cut them in the V section, clean the cracks gently and apply polyurethane-based filling paste in a ratio of 1:2.
3. Now neutralize the substrate using acid to remove the alkalinity.
4. In this step, apply a polyurethane coating to the surface and leave it for 8 to 10 hours, allowing them to dry completely
5. Now, keeping in mind the design ratio, apply a few successive coatings of PU using a thin paintbrush
6. The most important part in the above steps is that all the above-mentioned coatings must be dried for a minimum of 14 hours before another round of coating.
7. The polyurethane coating must be continued 150mm up the parapets and a minimum of 100 mm into rainwater pipes.
8. In the final step, the PU coating is showered with a layer of 300 microns of sand.
Advantages of Exterior Foundation Waterproofing Membranes
1. It stops the seepage of water. A structure without adequate waterproofing has a high chance of foundational issues. Installing proper waterproofing solutions is important.
2. Protects buildings: Waterproofing methods Keep the moisture out and never let water in; otherwise, it can wreak havoc on your building’s structure. If left unnoticed, excess water can compromise the strength of the building, making it a risky place to live.
3. Prevent Health Issues: Mold and mildew can easily grow if the structure is filled with water, and their exposure can lead to a variety of health issues ranging from skin problems, asthma attacks, headaches, and respiratory disorders. Using effective foundation waterproofing membrane techniques will ensure the safety of you and your family.
4. Fewer maintenance costs: The prime benefits of using Exterior Foundation Waterproofing Membranes are their low cost and their post-installation service, which is also pocket-friendly.
5. Rise in property value: Without waterproofing, the resale of the property endures pain, and you won’t get the expected returns. However, If the exterior foundation waterproofing is installed adequately, then it increases the market value of the property and gives you exorbitant returns, as it is the most important part of the building to take care of.
Application of Exterior Foundation Waterproofing Membranes:
Exterior waterproofing is a crucial component in protecting the structure. It makes sure that buildings are usable from generation to generation. Exterior foundation waterproofing membranes are used in a multitude of applications, including walls, building decks, basements, roofing, parking areas, water tanks, tunnels, linings, etc.
Precautions To Keep While Exterior Foundation Waterproofing
Always follow the best practices as mentioned below while Exterior Foundation Waterproofing:
1. Flammable substance: Due to its highly combustible nature, it is best to keep the products away from each other.
2. Skin and Health problems: Always protect your body while working with waterproofing solutions. This chemical contains hazardous substances that can cause various skin and health problems.
3. Wearing proper clothing: Waterproofing chemicals are dangerous to use, so it is essential to keep your safety kits handy and always wear gloves while at work. All the time, wear eye protection glasses or goggles while working with liquids.
Things to keep in mind while installing Exterior Foundation Waterproofing Membranes:
- Waterproofing materials based on Bitumen become malleable in the scorching heat of summer because of their black color. It has a shorter life cycle due to the evaporation of the solvent.
- Waterproofing based on cement is not durable, and cracks are visible over time, which results in leakage.
- The breathing potential of concrete is slowed down by the protective layer of PU.
Exterior waterproof paint | Exterior Waterproofing Companies Near Me
Once the waterproofing and other construction work is completed, the first thing you and others will notice is the beautification of the building and its foundation, which is achievable using paint. Waterproofing paint provides an additional layer of protection between water and the exterior foundation, and it staves off moisture seeping through the walls.
Waterproofing can be done at the initial stage of the foundation of the building, or it can also be installed once the structure is completed. However, if you notice any damage caused by excess water after the completion of the building, the cost of installing exterior waterproofing is high. Not to mention, prevention is better than cure. The best way to secure your building due to water damage is to apply the waterproofing coating at the initial stage of the building’s construction without further ado. This will not only minimize the cost, but you can also install and modify the foundation waterproofing at your own pace and according to your own requirements.
Waterproofing is a methodology used to prevent water damage and construction damage to a building or its features. Although many of us tend to ignore the importance of exterior waterproofing and consider it an expensive task, Besides providing a barrier to water, the right waterproofing also minimizes the cost of future maintenance or building facelift work.